Thursday, August 12, 2010

The world is flat and so is your career

In 2005 Thomas Friedman wrote a bestselling book called The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century.  In essence the book explains that globalization has changed the way we do business forever.  Wikipedia explains "The title is a metaphor for viewing the world as a level playing field in terms of commerce, where all competitors have an equal opportunity...[and] also alludes to the perceptual shift required for countries, companies and individuals to remain competitive in a global market."

So today I assert, not only is the world flat, your career is flat too.  You can be anything you want to be and do anything you want to do.  And the real beauty is whenever you are ready to make a change and move on to something new, you can.  I know the talk of all this change may sound scary to some.  But, indulge me for a moment and embrace the world of today which is constantly changing.  We no longer watch TV in black and white, so why do we often feel that our careers paths are one dimensional and we are on one career journey for the rest of our lives.  Live life in color.  Better yet, live life in high defintion. 

It just occurred to me the other day - the best epiphany I have had in a while.  I can accomplish all of my dreams, I can be everything I want to be.  The key is piecing together my dreams and aspirations like a puzzle to create my own master piece.  It's okay to play different roles and it's okay to let certain areas go and move onto others.  Moving on doesn't mean failure, it means you've accomplished what you set out to do and now it's time for the next challenge.

Start seeing your world as flat.  Stop watching your life go by in black and white.  Move on, close some doors and open some new ones.  Experience all that a flat world has to offer.  We all know that high definition looks better anyway.  Start piecing your puzzle together today.  Know that you are a dynamic person, your world is flat, and as in the words of Southwest Airlines, YOU ARE NOW FREE TO MOVE ABOUT THE COUNTRY!

1 comment:

  1. Lakeisha,
    I agree with you that you can be anything you want to be; young or old. You keep on pushing forward until you reach your goal.
    Keep the good words flowing. We need positive thinkers.
    Annie Clavon

    ReplyDelete